In which language are the courses of the study program?
In the Bachelor of Statistics, Master of Statistics and Bachelor of Data Science, teaching is usually in German. A good knowledge of German is therefore a basic requirement for successful study. Only in a few exceptions, elective courses are offered in English; in exceptional cases, reports can also be written in English.
The Master Data Science and the Master Econometrics are offered exclusively in English. Occasionally, however, German elective courses can be taken.
Which language certificate is required?
You need a language certificate to apply for a study place. The following language certificates are recognized by the International Office for sufficient German language skills (Bachelor Statistics, Master Statistics and Bachelor Data Science):
- Certificate of passing the DSH (level 2 or 3) - Test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF): Total TDN at least 16.
- German Language Diploma of the Conference of Ministers of Culture - Second Level (DSD II)
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom - GDS)
- Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung of the Goethe-Institut (ZOP)
- Small or Large German Language Diploma (KDS/GDS)
- telc German C1 University
In order to demonstrate sufficient English language skills (Master Data Science and Master Econometrics) an English language certificate with a performance level of at least "B2" is required. This can be covered by the following options, for example:
- Abitur (usually sufficient)
- TOEFL (72 points or more)
- IELTS (5.5 or better)
- Completed bachelor studies in English
For more information on language skills and providers of language courses, please also visit the web pages of the International Affairs Department as well as the web pages of our English-language programs Econometrics and Data Science.